A diverse coalition of Hackney based groups and individuals that have come together to challenge social exclusion and promote social justice.
Our members include trade unionists, faith groups, BME community and migrant support groups as well as peace activists. We welcome any organisation or individual that wants to join us in our campaigning.ning
Book your place for our community event: Inspire Hackney!
Just over one year on from last August's riot, it is time for us, as a community, to reflect on where we are, and what steps we need to take as a community. Inspire Hackney will be part art, part workshops and a lot of fun. Working with a range of partner organisations, we will take the time to explore what community organising is and how it can help us to address issues such as:
- Trade unions and communities: can they work together to effect change? A discussion of a three continent research project and its implications for Hackney
- Together for Transport: organising a public transport users group for Hackney
- Hackney Unemployed Workers Group: organising the unemployed in Hackney
- TSSA: Community learning: what it is and how it works?
- Hackney Borough of Sanctuary: how can we make Hackney a place of welcome to refugees and migrants
- 'Digs': challenging bad practice in the private rented housing sector
- Youth and policing (Stop and search)
- A forum on the environment
What they said about Celebrate Hackney!
Thanks for inviting HCVS to take part and for all the coverage you gave our exhibition. It was a great day and so many people came!
On behalf of Hands Inc, I just wanted to say "well done" to the Hackney
Unites team. We thoroughly enjoyed the event and had some great
feedback to both the massage and art therapy exhibition.
All the careful planning and publicity really paid off!
Congratulations… the day was well organised, to the point and successfully drew loads of people together. Had a real buzz to it....... we'd like to join the coalition if that's alright
It was a great success - thanks very much for organising it, everyone I
know left feeling very positive and more confident than when they joined.
Many thanks to you for your efforts and for a worthy success. I had an enjoyable time as a panel member for the challenges to young people session.
Well done ....there was a feeling of unity about the whole event....I was sorry to leave...
Just want to say thank you for a lovely and interesting day on Saturday. It gave a real sense of community and there were lots of interesting things to do and discuss. It must have been a lot of work but it was so worth it. I hope this is the first of a series - maybe annually?
More info from Hackneyunites@btinternet.com
To Book visit: http://inspirehackney.eventbrite.co.uk/
Our most recent projects include:
Hackney Unites Unemployed Workers Project;